Interior Design Basics - Understanding the Warm and the Cool Shades
Our friends at Black Mango share with us how to choose the best colour choices in furniture for your home?
Colour is one of the most important aspects of interior design. It can be used to create a specific mood for your space or give you the ambience of being in a faraway place. Colours can even help you to relax or draw your attention when you enter a room and should be a major factor in determining which furniture design ideas you’d like to execute.
So how do you know which colours are the best choices for furniture for your home?
Designers always mention concepts like warm and cool shades when it comes to colour choices. But what does this really mean? Here are some furniture design basics so that you can understand warm and cool shades and how they work in your home.
Warm colours generally refer to bright colours such as red, orange, yellow, and combinations of these colours. As the term ‘warm’ alludes to temperature these colours make you think of sunlight and heat. Warm colours tend to blend well together, which is why they are often used to make a space feel cosier.
On the other hand, cool colours refer to the colours that remind you of water or the sky, which are transient elements of the environment that are more likely to change in temperature. Unlike warm colours, cool colours can work to make a space seem larger.
Balance and Contrast
As you design your space keep in mind that balance and contrast is important. You'll need a variety of colours to make your room look complete, not just one. While you can use warm and cool colours for the dominant colours in your space, adding neutral colours such as grey, black and white can make your space seem more balanced.
In addition, you don't only have to stick to the most saturated hues. A hue is simply another word for colour while saturated refers to how rich or washed out the particular hue is. You can also opt for pastels to create a more neutral or muted effect for your space.
And if you get it right - lets hope it looks something like this!
- Sale Modern Black Circular Round Mirror | Various Sizes $169.00 $220.00
- ‘Hollywood Hills 2’ Limited Edition Print by Megan Weston $490.00
- Sale Miss Grey Skies | Framed Print $585.00 $729.00
- Gold | Lia Porto | Canvas $515.00
- Lines Range | Six Pendant | Various Colours $390.00
- Trim Handle | Timber $11.55
- Sale Mia Round Grey Tinted Mirror $199.00 $264.00
- Woolly Bovinae | Framed Photographic Print $380.00
- Sale Burnley 1 | Framed Canvas $699.99 $929.99
- Erichsen Bedside Table $499.00
- Ruben Ireland art print | Marianna $65.00
- Transcend | Stellar Canvas Print | Various Sizes $231.00